If you missed any of Mashable‘s resources this week, hopefully it wasn’t because you were dealing with that nasty “Flashback” virus (make sure you check if your Mac has been infected by using this nifty script).
Once you know you’re not one of the 600,000 unlucky ones hit with the malware virus, get caught up with our weekly features roundup!
This week, we’ve covered the ways to add LinkedIn to your company’s website, tech time warp videos that will take you back to the ’80s and ’90s and memes brought to life via Twitter. We also have a Q&A with author Jonah Lehrer, an office tour of StumbleUpon’s San Francisco headquarters and infographics on topics ranging from slacktivism to employee privacy. We even have the best Draw Something sketches from Mashable readers, like you.
Go ahead and enjoy this week’s digital media resources.
- How to Be Creative: The Science of Genius
In his book Imagine: How Creativity Works, author Jonah Lehrer posits that geniuses are not superheroes, but rather products of unstifled imagination and free-flowing ideas.
- How One Website Connects Those in Need With Government Assistance
Finding a government program specifically tailored to one’s needs and location can be difficult and intimidating. That’s where innovative website Aunt Bertha comes in.
- Conan O’Brien Takes Over Mashable for April Fools’ Day
Just in case you weren’t obsessively checking Mashable last weekend, we wanted to give you the full picture of one of Mashable’s best-ever April Fools’ Day pranks. Enjoy!
- Why ‘Slacktivists’ Are More Active Than You Think [INFOGRAPHIC]
Sortable created this infographic, which looks at the rise of slacktivism.
- 11 Early Pics From Android Instagram Users
Instagram launched for Android, and users are already flocking to the app to show off their best skills.
- Get Your Nerd On With Nerdist Industries’ New YouTube Channel
Nerdist Industries has launched a new platform for its nerdy content in partnership with YouTube.
- 7 Useful Pinterest Tools to Supercharge Your Pinfluence
Several third-party sites and services have piggybacked on Pinterest’s success, and can help you get more out of the social networking site.
- 10 Hilarious Memes Brought to Life on Twitter
Can’t get enough of those “Advice Animals?” Follow you these memetastic characters on Twitter for non-stop Internet hilarity.
- 20 TV Shows With the Most Social Media Buzz This Week [CHART]
Which TV shows generate the most buzz on social networks? Find out each week from our social TV chart.
- Pinerly: Hands on With the Newest Pinterest Analytics Tool
New startup Pinerly wants to help you get a grip on your “Pinalytics.” We go hands-on with the beta service.
- How Google+ Can Succeed at Business Without Really Trying
G+ is Google’s Trojan horse thanks to these features, which make it a great tool for enterprise social collaboration.
- What’s at Stake When Employers Ask for Social Media Passwords? [INFOGRAPHIC]
Who is requesting access to social media information? Does access to employees’ social media passwords leave an employer legally vulnerable?
- MLB Fan Cave: The Core Of Major League Baseball’s Social Strategy
The MLB Fan Cave and the people in it are at the very core of Major League Baseball’s social media strategy.
- 8 Tips To Maximize Your Brand’s YouTube Presence
Brands need a YouTube game plan. Here are eight tips for creating such a plan and turning your brand’s YouTube channel into a video hotspot.
- 25 Most-Buzzed Universities on the Internet
MIT is the most-buzzed about university on the Internet.
- 9 Ways to Engage Your Employees on Pinterest
Businesses can use Pinterest to encourage employees to get to know each other, and to communicate their personalities to the wider public.
- How Social Media Can Help You Land That New Job [INFOGRAPHIC]
Social media can play a major role in finding that first job or hopping to a better one.
Business & Marketing
- 4 Facebook Features Marketers Can’t Afford to Ignore
Marketers need to know which networks are the most vital to their industry, and what features are key. In Facebook’s case, there are four.
- YouTube’s 20 Most-Shared Ads in March [VIDEOS]
March’s list of most-shared YouTube ads is quite diverse. We’ve got tear-jerkers, special effects, animation, comedy and more!
- The Impact of Online Giving [INFOGRAPHIC]
Millions of charitable dollars are given online every year. Where does it all go? What’s it worth? And how have digital donations changed the game?
- Impact Investing: How One Foundation Empowers Social Entrepreneurs
Mashable spoke with John Walker, finance director of Echoing Green, a foundation that awards grants based on the individual’s potential and not the business plan.
- 9 Ways to Add LinkedIn to Your Company Website
Adding LinkedIn’s social features to a company website is a great way to tap into the large-scale recruitment platform. Here are the nine key plugins.
- 3 Twitter Rumors and What They Could Mean for Brands
Twitter is trying to become more attractive to advertisers. Read on for three possible changes Twitter could be making for brands.
- Stumble Into StumbleUpon’s San Francisco Office [PICS]
Take a look inside the discovery platform’s innovative California headquarters.
- How One Company Helps Sales Teams Leverage Their Social Influence [VIDEO]
Jon Ferrara, founder and CEO of Nimble, talks about how social media can be combined with CRM for better sales.
- 5 Best Practices for Creating Viral Branded Videos
Want to know how to get your brand’s campaign to go viral? Here are a few great insights to consider.
- Crowd-Powered: Why Doritos Lets Fans Make Its Super Bowl Ads
The cheesy chip company gives the reigns to its consumers to develop Super Bowl commercials. Here’s how it all works.
- How One Non-Profit Aims to Create Open-Source Government
This politically tuned non-profit’s objective is to make the government’s public data more accessible to everyone in real-time.
- Learning Experiment Sparks Student Imagination With Cute Robots
Reboot Stories uses experimental education projects to keep kids in low-income areas engaged with learning.
- Crowdfunding: What it Means for Investors
The crowdfunding feature in the recently passed JOBS Act will not only impact startups, it will affect investors, too. Here’s how.
- 4 Ways to Rethink the Press Release
Check out the four examples of companies reinventing how they use and present the press release.
Tech & Mobile
- 10 Upcycled Gadgets for Your Home and Office
Check out these 10 upcycled tech gadgets repurposed as modern home and office accessories.
- 20 Cool Easter Eggs Hidden in Google’s 8-Bit Maps
Google Maps transformed into a gamer’s paradise, adding an 8-bit layer filled with landmarks and gaming characters to its virtual globe.
- 7 High-Tech Cars that will Save You Gas Money [PHOTOS]
With the price of gas topping $4 a gallon in many parts of the U.S., people are once again buying more fuel-efficient electrics and hybrids.
- 25 Best ‘Draw Something’ Sketches From Mashable Readers [PICS]
We asked Mashable‘s readers to show us the best Draw Something sketches they have created.
- How ‘Draw Something’ Is Taking Over the World [INFOGRAPHIC]
It’s official: The world is obsessed with Draw Something. Learn the numbers behing the break-out game’s astounding growth.
- Hang Ten! How the History of Surfing Went Digital
How the author of the successful Encyclopedia of Surfing is gathering online support to take the print project completely digital.
- This Is What Your Future Home Might Look Like
Believe it or not, the future of the urban architecture could be in plain sight. We explored two viable options.
- 9 Bold Predictions for the Digital World of 2020
Click through the slideshow to see what our experts foresee: artificial intelligence, cloud computing, virtual healthcare and digital jewelry.
- Happy 404 Day! Here Are the Web’s Funniest Error Messages [PICS]
In honor of 4/04/12, we recapped some of the Internet’s funniest 404 error messages.
- 7 Tech Time Warps That Will Blow Your Mullet Off [VIDEOS]
These YouTube videos look at today’s most used apps and technology as if they had been created in the ’80s and ’90s.
- 7 Crazy Tech Toys You Could Buy With Your Tax Refund
The average U.S. federal tax refund is $2,946. Think of all the awesome gadgets you could get with it!
- 8 Handy Tablet Styluses to Boost Your Creativity
Whether you’re sick of getting fingerprints all over your iPad or you want to get seriously creative, try a stylus for your tablet.