Sometimes, growing up sucks. “We’re Not Young” — a depressing but funny viral video that turns indie pop band Fun’s “We Are Young” smash hit on its head — captures the conflicts people encounter in their 30s.
Part of Yahoo’s Sketchy comedy series, the parody lampoons 30-year-olds’ drinking problems, married friends, long-term relationships, expanded waistlines, prostate appointments and not-so-desirable jobs.
Fun’s original version (listen below) has become an anthem for the younger set with lyrics celebrating the carefree nature of, well, not being older than 30.
The lines in the music video spoof, however, portray a much more tormented period in someone’s life. For example:
- “Tonight, we’re not young. We’re all somewhere in our 30s and nothing worthy. This ain’t fun. Tonight, we’re not young. I guess I’ll learn Photoshop. Maybe I’ll sell pot. Start a blog.”
- “I guess I’ll do elliptical. Maybe I can finally do that yoga class. But I probably won’t. HGTV. Going to stay at home. Watch Modern Family.”
Fun’s video has racked up 34 million YouTube views since Dec. 27. The song peaked at number one on Billboard‘s Hot 100 chart and currently is number two.
For more Entertainment coverage:
- Follow Mashable Entertainment on Twitter
- Become a Fan on Facebook
- Subscribe to the Entertainment channel
- Download our free apps for Android, Mac, iPhone and iPad